[wisb] SW Wisconsin owling last night

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:47:44 -0500

Despite near-perfect conditions, my Owl Survey results were identical to
Chris's - one Barred Owl, and it wasn't even during my five-minute count
period.  I ran the Annaton route west of Dodgeville (Iowa County) and
the Highland route northeast of Fennimore in Grant County.  This was my
fourth year running the Annaton route - first year was great, with owls
at seven out of ten stops, but there was still snow on the ground that
April.  The last three years have been dead.  I did hear Coyotes at the
first stop this year, which was a first, but had only a few Killdeer and
lots of Spring Peepers otherwise.

This was my first time running the Highland route, and I had thought it
looked very promising when I scouted it in daylight a couple of weeks
ago.  Except for a few more Killdeer and some passing overhead migrants'
peeps and chirps, all I had was the Barred Owl that called once as I was
making my weather and listening condition notes before starting my
five-minute count.  Somewhat surprisingly, I heard no Woodcock or Snipe,
although I did almost pick off a Woodcock that fluttered over Hwy 18
between Cobb and Fennimore.

Peter Fissel
Bleary-eyed in
Madison WI