[wisb] SLATY-BACKED GULL - Ashland

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:57:06 -0700

Around 11:00am today I found an adult SLATY-BACKED GULL along the Ashland
lakefront of Chequamegon Bay, Lake Superior.  The bird was with several Herring
Gulls on the ice about 200 yards north of the Ashland marina.  Unfortunately
after ~10 minutes the bird got up and flew south inland and out of sight.
However, I was able to get distant but diagnostic photos of the bird both
perched and in flight and I'll post those later.  There's a good chance the
bird is long gone but there's at least some chance that it will return to the
bay.  Check all lakeshore points as typically there are no gull concentrations
here.  One exception is the waste management facility at the industrial park
just south of Hwy 2 on Ashland's east end (near a large radio tower).  This is
our first record of Slaty-backed Gull in the Chequamegon Bay area!

Ice is quickly forming on Chequamegon Bay but good numbers of geese, swans, and
ducks are present as the final push is underway.  I have been searching for
Ashland's Gyrfalcon almost daily for the past 10 days or so with no luck yet.
Could return any day now though.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady