[wisb] SAY'S PHOEBE doc photos - Ashland

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ashlandbirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ashlandbirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 20:32:18 -0600

Very poor photos but here's the best I could muster of the SAY'S PHOEBE I found
in Ashland today:

http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/saph2014

If accepted by the RC, this would be the 5th state record and, somewhat
surprisingly, the first away from southeast Lake Michigan counties.

A local birder looked in the evening and did not see it, but it may still be
present. Our Ashland rarities often don't stick but with northerly winds, cold
temps, and insect availability generally low elsewhere, there is a chance.
Supposedly the Wausau birding crew is in town and will be looking first thing
in the morning.

Tom's original directions (bottom of this thread) were very good. Here's an
aerial map of the farm around which the bird was foraging. This is private land.

http://binged.it/1iplxO1

Perhaps best of all, I discovered the bird while teaching a continuing
education birding course for our local technical college. Most of the trip
members had never seen an Eastern Phoebe let alone a Say's, yet they were
completely thrilled to be part of the excitement (even if I was somewhat
maniacal).

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady