[wisb] Richland, Iowa, Sauk, Dane and Columbia Counties yesterday (4/2)

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 11:47:35 -0500

Hey everyone,
I took full advantage of the beautiful weather yesterday and got some birding
in.  I had meant to attend the Madison Audubon field trip to Goose Pond, but a
loose screw in the focus wheel on my binoculars caused a detour to Eagle
Optics, so I ended up birding on my own. Nevertheless, I had a good day.
The pond along Hwy 14 on the west side of Middleton is being drained, but what
little water there was left had a few White-fronted Geese, some Redhead and
Ring-necked Ducks and Green-winged Teal. There were a few Wood Ducks in the
back as well.
After borrowing a screwdriver from Eagle Optics to tighten the screw, I was on
my way again. The pond on County K near Ashton Corners had around a hundred
ducks, mostly Mallards, but with Teal and a few Black Ducks mixed in.
The pond on Fischer Rd had very few birds. mostly Canada Geese.
Heading up to Waunakee, I stopped along Schumacher Rd.  The pond on the south
end had Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, Redhead, Canvasback and few others. The pond
on the north end of Schumacher had a ton of birds.  8 species of ducks, a
Belted Kingfisher, a Bald Eagle, tons of gulls. Most of the gulls were
Ring-billed with a smattering of Herring. One bird caught my attention as a
probable Thayer's, but the blocky head shape is bothering me. There's enough
bleached, first winter Herring Gulls around that it makes it tricky this time
of year.
The pond at the intersection of WIBU road and County DM (Harvey Rd) had about
50 or so Gr White-fronted Geese and my FOY Pied-billed Grebe and my FOY Great
Blue Heron.
The pond on the east side of Hwy 51 along DM had around 100 Ring-billed Gulls.
My next stop was the "famous" pond at Harvey and Wangsness. This held several
Cackling Geese and a single Snow Goose. This was the only white goose I saw all
day. The pond up over the hill on the east side of the Harvey Rd had 5 Tundra
Swans and 2 Trumpeter Swans.
Of all the places I visited today, it was pretty clear that the peak of the
waterfowl migration is past, but the max number of species are now present.
Schoenburg Marsh is still mostly frozen (that must be where all the cold air
goes on warm days? lol) but there were Canada Geese standing out on the ice.
There were a couple Rusty Blackbirds by the house along the road there.
Goose Pond is still mostly frozen, but there is some open water in the east
side pond. This had more Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, Blue-winged Teal, etc
I found two Eurasian Collared-doves along a side street by the park in
Arlington.
I then ran up to Whalen Grade where I found a Mute Swan, Ruddy Ducks, Gadwall,
Wigeon, Scaup, Hooded Merg, Ring-necked, Black Ducks, Bufflehead, Redhead, etc.
 On the west side of the road, there were around 1000 gulls. Mostly Ring-billed
and Herring, but with a few Thayer's thrown in.  There were also about 30 or 40
Bald Eagles sitting out on the far side of the ice and around 50 or so Common
Mergansers.
Down at Okee Bay, the only gulls I found were Ring-billed and Herring.

Down at Arena Boat Landing, I added Fox Sparrow and Red-shouldered Hawk for the
day.
Bakken's Pond had Horned Grebe, Ring-necked Ducks, Am White Pelican, Scaup,
both Teal, Shovelers, a Mute Swan, and Eastern Phoebe.  No Tree Swallows yet.
At Peck Marsh, (Peck Rd, south of County JJ in far western Sauk county) I found
a bunch of N Harriers and the resident Rough-legged Hawk.  The pond along Pearl
Road had some gulls, Killdeer, and a single Greater Yellowlegs.
The Lone Rock WA LWSR Unit was fairly quiet, but I found the rest of the
Ring-necked Ducks that were missing from Bakken's pond.  I also added my FOY
Golden-crowned Kinglet.

In all, it was a pretty decent day for early April.
250 miles driven, 5 counties covered and a grand total of 84 species for the
day.  Not a bad haul! I missed quite a few common species that have been
reported lately. 100 species or more for the day could have been possible.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)