[wisb] Request with gull ID (photos), plus scenic winter/bird photos from Duluth

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 01:16:53 -0600

There's a gull that I found yesterday which I'm struggling to identify, and
thought that I would ask my Wisconsin birding friends for assistance :-)
Yesterday afternoon I visited Canal Park, followed by about 2 miles of
hiking through the beautiful Superior Hiking Trail, adjacent to Hartley
Nature Center here in Duluth. Among the Herring Gulls at Canal Park was a
unique gull... In the field, it looked Herring Gull-sized, however the
overall age of the bird was something that seemed to cause confusion about,
can I even narrow down the age of this bird, and can I even narrow it down
to a species? I was leaning towards Herring Gull, but would appreciate
feedback, if anybody is interested in sharing thoughts/commentary. The gull
of interest had a dark eye, partially yellowish bill, pink legs, and had the
overall plumage of a 2nd-cycle Herring Gull. The underside of the wings
looked surprisingly pale too. Photos of this bird and more are below. Thanks
for any help you can provide. Enjoy! (yesterday's album can be found at
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/canal_park__hartley_nc)
Unusual Gull:
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242489
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242518
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242485
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242484
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242519

March of the Penguins... or March of the Mallard:
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242496

Iceland/Thayer's Gull odd gull (potentially one of the many hybrids)
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242491
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242492

Cool angles of a sharp-looking adult Herring Gull:
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242488
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242497

Mallard colors really glow with snow nearby:
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242503
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242505
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242507

Snow/scenic shots:
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242508
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242516
http://www.pbase.com/image/132242520

Shots from last weekend, if it's of interest...
Pine Grosbeak
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132138814

Gray Jay
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132138815

Boreal Chickadee (eating seed)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132138813

Porcupine
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132138816

Meadow Vole
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132138817

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided birdwatching tours
www.pbase.com/birdfedr
www.naturallyavian.blogspot.com
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx