[wisb] Red Shouldered Hawk over Lake Monona, in Monona, Dane County

  • From: Mike Matney <mikematneyjr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:03:06 -0500

Quentin Y and I were enjoying lunch at a skinny little park off of Winnequah
Road in Monona on the Lake when we observed a Red-Shouldered Hawk gliding
and circling initially over coastline and eventually out over the open
water.  It appeared to be a juvenile bird, however we had great looks at the
"window panes" on its wings.  The GISS and proportions of wingspan to tail
size was much different than the Red Tailed Hawks we're all so used to
observing as well.
Glorious day.  Hope everyone can get out and enjoy for at least a few
minutes.

Cheers,
Mike

--