[wisb] Re: Raptors

  • From: "Bettie R. Harriman" <bettie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx,wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:34:18 -0600

Adult Cooper's Hawk made a kill in my yard yesterday - it was
probably a female, large and richly colored.  The red front was quite
dark, as was the grey back.  I think it got a Mourning Dove.  The
kill was on the ground under a spruce tree in snow, so I could only
see the prey item when the bird flew - it was rather large and MODO
is the largest species in my yard (after the occasional hawk), plus
it appeared to be a neutral color (not red as in cardinal).

Had a Northern Flicker on the suet this morning. And the titmouse is calling.

Bettie Harriman, just watching yard birds
north of Oshkosh in the woods