[wisb] Raptors

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:45:27 -0600

Peter Fissel's post on hawks reminded me that I forgot to mention my own survey
coming back from the northwoods last weekend.  After stopping at the mouth of
the Fox in Green Bay, I counted all raptors seen from  highway 41 down to my
exit near Allenton.  19 red-tails, 2 roughies, and 2 kestrels.  Also this
afternoon, the adult sharpie I see frequently made a kill!  While I did not
observe the attack, I did see the hawk perched on a butterfly house with a
female house finch in its talons.  It really wanted to start snacking when a
tom turkey appeared.  It stared the larger bird down and decided it was much to
crowded and flew off.  Does the hawk realize that turkeys don't prey on
finches?  Makes me wonder if a turkey would pass on a nestling in the grass.
My guess is that an easy meal never goes to waste.

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County####################