[wisb] Rainbow Dr wetland- Stevens Point

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 19:54:06 -0500

This afternoon Daniel Schneider, John Dadisman, and I checked the wetland
complex on Rainbow Drive about a mile east of Stevens Point after doing some
field work. The area is filled with waterfowl right now and numbers of Tundra
Swans (450-500) and Pintail (100+) are very impressive. 9 White-fronted Geese
were present with the hundreds of Canadas but surprisingly we could not find a
Cackling or any white geese. All common dabblers were present including both
teal. A Yellow-rumped Warbler and singing Fox sparrow were other welcome
arrivals this far north. This spot is excellent right now and definitely should
be checked frequently.

Breeders are beginning to return to the Buena Vista Grasslands-- both
meadowlarks are singing in good numbers, a Savanna Sparrow was heard and seen,
Brewers Blackbirds are relatively common, and the Prairie Chickens are flying
around and booming.

Tom Prestby
currently Stevens Point