[wisb] Re: RFI Zion Natl. Park, Utah Birding

  • From: Elizabeth Zimmerman <ehzimmer@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:07:07 -0500

Hi Max,

I have been meaning to reply to your query for some time.  My husband
and I visited Zion National Park last October.  I wanted to be sure you
had a chance to find the Dipper.  When visiting the park, you may or may
not be able to drive up along the Virgin River to the Narrows trail,
depending on whether they have started the shuttle for the season.  (The
shuttle makes several stops and you can get on and off at will.)

Do go up to the Narrows on the trail, and watch the shallow rapids of
the river closely.  There were three or four Dippers in the water when
we were there, and should be there even in winter, as I understand.
Canyon Wrens are there too, and should be singing.  Zion is spectacular
and certainly worth a visit even if you aren't looking for birds.

If you can get to Bryce National Park (also spectacular), look for
Steller's Jay, Pinyon Jay, Clark's Nutcracker, Pygmy Nuthatch, Mountain
Chickadee, Western Bluebird, and western races of the Dark-eyed Junco
(the Gray-headed Juncos being the commonest, and easy to photograph as
they search the picnic areas).

Good birding!
Libby Zimmerman
Cambridge, Jefferson County