[wisb] Re: RFI - San Francisco and Monterey

  • From: Arlene Koziol <arlenekoziol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:09:22 -0500

My husband and I spent an incredible week doing bird and nature photography
from 3/28 to 4/3/10 from Tiberon to Bodega Bay. Our favorite book were
"Discovering Birds at Point Reyes" by Rich Stallup and Melissa Pitkin. We
purchased this book as well as some wonderful California natural history guides
at the Point Reyes National Seashore visitors center. I would recommend going
here first because Point Reyes is so big. The docents are very knowledgeable
about birding and can give you up to date information and maps.
Also, the University of California Press has an outstanding Natural History
Series. My favorites are
1. "Raptors of California" by Hans and Pam Peters
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520242005
2. "Introduction to California Birdlife by Evans and Tate
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520242548
3. Natural History of the Point Reyes Peninsula" by Jules Evans
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520254671
Another favorite was
1. "Birding Northern California"
http://www.amazon.com/Birding-Northern-California-John-Kemper/dp/1560448326/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284133463&sr=1-1
For getting close to birds for photography I recommend the Richardson Audubon
Center in Tiburon. Go when the tide is out for amazing shorebirds. Also, there
are a number of different habitats on the property for other birds that are
easy to access.
Another great spot is Bodega Bay.
http://audubon.sonoma.net/birding/bodega_bay.html

And below is a link to my photos from our trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29411257@N00/sets/72157624799887557/

Best,

Arlene Koziol
Arlington Hts., IL.