[wisb] Re: RFI: Orioles Return to Wisconsin [Richland County]

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 22:23:09 -0400 (EDT)

It appears from this Journey North map that at least one Baltimore Oriole
has made it this far north (to Michigan).
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/spring2014.html?layers=oriole_baltimore
 I usually see my first Oriole - and it could be Orchard or Baltimore  - in
mid to late April.

I put out orange slices all over the yard on shrub branches and atop feeder
 poles.  I figure it's easier for the scouts to see them early on.   And,
the hummer feeders are all in pretty much the same place as last year so
that returnees will home in on them as well.  It's a bit of investment,
oranges that is.  The robins, finch squirrels and chickadees all take their
turns
and clean out the first couple placements of oranges before an  oriole gets
its chance.

I have at least one squirrel who has taken to emptying the hummer  feeders.
 Perhaps it's retaliation for my reducing their food  source.
Betsy Abert, So. Milwaukee

In a message dated 4/6/2014 7:10:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sgswiggum@xxxxxxx writes:

When are  Baltimore Orioles and Orchard Orioles expected to return to
Wisconsin? I’ve  had inquiries and I’m unable to answer.
Also—what preparations should be  done in advance to attract them to our
yards? The discussion about Oriole  feeders was interesting and appreciated.

Thanks  sincerely,

Sharon Swiggum
Richland Center in Richland  County
To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use  the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Visit  Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:  //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn