[wisb] Re: Question about Smith's Longspurs (food habits)

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jim_lutes@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:26:17 -0500

Per the Birds of North America account of food habits:
"In winter mainly seeds of grasses, waste grain, and weeds, including:
Aristida sp., Sporobolus sp., Silaria sp., Panicum sp., wheat, timothy,
clover, crabgrass, ragweed, bulrush, millet and sedge. Ground beetles,
caterpillars, and spiders main invertebrates eaten (Martin et al. in Kemsies
1968). On migration, cracked corn and seeds of Sporobolus vaginiflorous, and
Digitaria ischaemum (Kemsies and Randle 1964).

Kemsies, E. 1968. Smith's Longspur. Pages 1628-1635 in Life histories of
North American cardinals, grosbeaks, buntings, towhees, finches, sparrows
and allies. Vol. 237 (Bent, A. C., Ed.) U.S. Nat. Mus. Bull. Washington,
D.C.
Kemsies, E. and W. Randle. 1964. A distributional summary and some
behavioral notes for Smith's Longspur, Calcarius pictus. Can. Field-Nat.
78:28-31."

The common name for Sporobolus vaginiflorus appears to be Poverty Dropseed,
Poverty Grass, or Sheathed Dropseed, and for Digitaria ischaemum, Smooth
Crabgrass or Small Crabgrass.
I know nothing about botany, so I don't know how common these are in
Wisconsin and if any of the grasses mentioned are common in the WPA. If you
know, Jim, perhaps this could shed some light on why they chose that
particular field and if they would have success at another location.

Also from BNA:

"Effects of human activities on migrating and wintering populations remain
unknown. Wintering longspurs frequent airport fields, grazed pastures, grain
stubble and other areas of intensive human use, but may be vulnerable to
land-use changes and contaminants in these habitats."

It doesn't sound like Smith's Longspurs are too particular, but maybe we
have more to learn.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County