[wisb] (Polk County) Redpolls, Owl, and RFI

  • From: JOEY REICHHOFF <jreichhoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:05:33 -0600

While driving to a farm for work today, I had a flock of two dozen-ish
Common Redpolls.  I forgot my binoculars so I didn't get a great look at
them all, but will hopefully be going back that way again tomorrow.  I also
had a Barred Owl fly across the road in front of me a land in a nearby tree.
 Gorgeous bird!
I also noticed how dark the owl's eyes were.  Many other owls have yellow
eyes, the Barred have dark.  Is there any significance to this?  Are owl's
with yellow eyes diurnal?  Thanks for any help.
Joey Reichhoff
Barronett, WI