[wisb] Horned Larks + Horicon & Sheboygan

  • From: "Mikko Home" <mikko.viljamaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birders" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:17:20 -0600

I had some time yesterday to drive around and I was surprised by the amount of
Horned Larks by the roads. It seems that what used to be Snow Buntings couple
of weeks ago is now Horned Larks. I wonder if anybody else noticed this change.
And talk about Snow Buntings; our 23 Buntingâ??s backyard flock has grown to be
a gang of neighborhood terrorizing 61 individuals!
As I have never been in Horicon at winter, I thought yesterday that I should go
and check how it looks like. It looked â?? well - snowy. I arrived to end of
Dike Road just when it really started to snow. And I mean really snowing. If
you donâ??t believe me, follow the link below and take a look at the first
photo (make sure to click the photo to see it in original size). BTW the only
two birds I saw in Horicon were two Rough-legged Hawks.
On my way to Horicon I stopped at Sheboygan and took some photos from Great
Scaups and Goldeneyes. One female plumage Goldeneye looked really promising for
awhile but no matter how hard I tried to turn it to a Barrowâ??s Goldeneye, I
had to give up and admit that its just a Common Goldeneye. This bird is the
first Goldeneye in the series and if you disagree with me please do let me
know. Iâ??m more than happy to take a new lifer from this lady  ;  )

http://www.mikkoviljamaa.com/Latest/2262011-Horicon/16000682_uNQZz#1200297587_gzhpz

Cheers,

Mikko (Outagamie County)