[wisb] Pine Siskin in my Feeder

  • From: Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:34:42 +0000

I'm working on writing my Biology midterm exam and enjoying my first Pine
Siskin of the year  gorging itself on sunflower seeds in the feeder outside of
my window.

Kelly Rueckheim - Wonewoc
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 12:07 AM
To: wisbirdn digest users
Subject: wisbirdn Digest V5 #15

wisbirdn Digest Sun, 15 Jan 2012        Volume: 05  Issue: 015

In This Issue:
                [wisb] Black Throated Blue!- Record Late or Record early?
                [wisb] Re: Black Throated Blue!- Record Late or Record early
                [wisb] Cardinal Singing
                [wisb] Barrow's Goldeneye - Manitowoc NO, Lapland Longspurs
                [wisb] Thrush, Towhee and Oriole
                [wisb] Horicon Marsh area
                [wisb] Re: Snowy Owls-Fond du Lac - No; pelicans, yes
                [wisb] Great Black-Backed gull.
                [wisb] Any Bayfield, Red Cliff birding advice
                [wisb] Redpolls, Sauk City
                [wisb] Snowy Owl Sheboygan
                [wisb] Manitowoc County-1/15/12
                [wisb] No more Summer Tanager in Woodruff
                [wisb] Red Polls   ---   Green Bay
                [wisb] Forest County birds today
                [wisb] Red-throated Loon/Ozaukee County
                [wisb] Sheboygan County this P.M.
                [wisb] Iceland Gull, Milwaukee
                [wisb] Snowy Owls on eBird
                [wisb] e-bird

From: "Dan and Mary Pat Panetti" <dpanetti@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Black Throated Blue!- Record Late or Record early?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 08:14:45 -0600

A customer of Wild Birds Unlimited- Mequon called to report that an adult male
showed up two days prior to Christmas- I believe this would be the 23rd.  It
returned again a couple days later.  The bird was seen again on New Years Day
and again yesterday, 1/14- (I have a photo for Bob D.)  It is in Glendale
(Milwaukee County).  It does not appear to be a reliable or regular visitor. On
the topic of visitors, the reporter has not committed to visitation at this
time.  It is feeding on suet and other seeds at feeders.  No water is provided
in this yard.  Given the common yellow throat and yellow rumped warblers
reported in the past ten days or so, could there be other warblers out there??
Dan Panetti
S.E. Ozaukee County

------------------------------

From: korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:34:54 +0000

Dan there is also a Black-throated Blue at a small park in Chicago. It showed
up in Dec and was still there a few days ago. I'm sure they have been able to
linger due to the balmy autumn into early winter. Like you suggest there are
probably more out there.
Mark Korducki, New Berlin

From: "Daryl Christensen" <daryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Cardinal Singing
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:14:25 -0600

I had a Northern Cardinal singing from the treetops this morning.
Amazing!
-Daryl Christensen
Marquette co.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:54:27 -0800 (PST)
From: b p <mrhunterbarry@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Barrow's Goldeneye - Manitowoc NO, Lapland Longspurs Kewaunee C

Tried for the Barrow's in Manitowoc for an hour this morning to no avail. 5
GLAUCOUS GULLS and 4 GBB GULLS in the harbor though.
Two Rivers- 1 GLAUCOUS
GULL where the rivers meet.
Point Beach- barren. 2 fly-by Mergansers
Kewaunee CO.- 250+ LAPLAND LONGSPURS in the fields south of Lakeview Dr. and
Lakeshore Rd. intersection.
Kewaunee- 1 GLAUCOUS  GULL and 1 RUDDY DUCK in the marina.
Brian Pierce

Green Bay, Brown County, WI

------------------------------

From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Thrush, Towhee and Oriole
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:17:54 -0600

I covered the Hatley/Wausau/Marathon area this morning.  At Hatley I
tried for the female Varied Thrush.  Arriving around 8:00 I had a
half hour wait before it showed up.  I saw it briefly a few minutes
before behind the house (on the east side).  It then appeared below
the feeders by the garage, feeding for 5+ minutes.  When it flew off
it moved to the cedars behind the home, not along side the road.
There was considerable activity at their feeders besides the thrush,
that included a White-throated Sparrow, redpolls, siskins,
goldfinches, etc. (about 20 species!)
Next was the Wausau spot on Nuthatch Rd for the male Spotted Towhee.
Almost immediately I found the cardinal/junco flock working in the
bushes around the homes.  I did not see the towhee initially, so I
cruised around to the Crane Dr feeders but they only had squirrels!
Returning to the Nuthatch Dr site, almost immediately the male
Spotted Towhee appeared in a bush by the neighbor's shed with juncos
and cardinals,  plus one Blue Jay.  It shortly dropped down on the
ground below/behind the bush where I could no longer see it.  Waiting
time for it was less than 10 minutes (sorry Tom!).

Last was Marathon City for the Baltimore Oriole.  As I pulled up to
the backyard feeders, it was very obvious feeding in one of the
feeders and chasing other birds away.  It fed for several minutes,
then flew to some shrubs.  About 10 minutes later it was back at the
feeder, after which it went to their heated bird bath for a quick
drink before going back to the shrubs.

On the way home I tried for the E. Bluebirds that I had found on the
Fremont CBC, but no luck.  Stopping in Fremont to check one of the
berry trees I was surprised to find a flock of 200+ Cedar Waxwings
vigorously feeding on the crabapple berries.  And among them was one
Bohemian Waxwing!  A nice surprise to end a fun morning.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI

------------------------------

From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Horicon Marsh area
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:22:48 -0600

Yesterday there was a WSO board meeting at the Horicon Ed Center.  I
checked out the west and east side of the marsh before heading for
the meeting.  Along Hwy 26, south of 151, at a farm among the
numerous Starlings were single Redwinged Blackbird and BH Cowbird.
On the east side on Dike Rd, before it turns north and heads out on
to the dike are two homes that feed birds.  There was a nice variety
present but most interesting were the numerous flocks of Redwinged
Blackbirds flying over from north to south.  In the 5+ minutes I
estimated at least 125 Redwings plus a few Brewer's and Rusty
Blackbirds!  Where they ended up I do not know as they continued
south along Northern Woods Rd and beyond from what I could see.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI

------------------------------

From: "Sehloff, Kerry" <kerry.sehloff@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:39:39 -0600
Subject: [wisb] Re: Snowy Owls-Fond du Lac - No; pelicans, yes

The pair of pelicans seen on January 1 is still at Lakeside Park in Fond du
Lac.  We did not see them yesterday, but they were preening on the rocks out on
the point this morning.  We found no snowy owls, but did watch a northern
harrier cruising the shoreline, and among the mallards were a cormorant, some
bufflehead, a few red breasted mergansers and one female northern shoveler.  We
found a glaucous gull Saturday at Lakeside Park, but saw only a couple herring
gulls today.

The pelicans did not seem to be bothered by our camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25442634@N07/6702799911/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25442634@N07/6702799019/in/photostream

Kerry & Dave Sehloff
NE Fond du Lac County

From: "Terri Welisek"<terriw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:51:40 -0600
Subject: [wisb] Great Black-Backed gull.

?Š÷«±«MzÈhµ¨Oj¹ÿMêë‹?¥ŠÇ¤q©n™ë\ŠÜ‚¢yÞr×?o
Ñ8€è?W«‹:'Z*Þ•ë,ÿÿÿüêâ‚)Ú–g¬±¨?ÿÿÿüZè›öéþjáº{^­¶«¯/òj?(ýÊ&ý:ÿÂ+?Š·gýúÞzX¬¶Ïè®?žžßÒºÉj}yÿm5Û_ÿç?öìc?ûMÿÓD®n7œ·ÿðŠÆÿ?ªë£?ì?‰]zw²{ó?ž+h‡
;òÚ¦V§tº'‚Ên®ÂžÁ«§yàŽý:ây×è®Ø^?ªë£?ìŠs?ž+h‡?¢¶§†‹«¶?¬šŠçŠx-¢z?½¨¥ÿŸÿübÀP#”Kÿÿ?BËI©Ýà`A?BËJ)í…èZ­º+¶?.‚?Ó„b½êìÿQ‹?@ŽQ/ÿüe
 /ÿÿÂ?«zØ^®+ޮɞzßÏ¢)í?朇öÚ®·§ÿgåËöò1êàj{?®ÂžÁ«§yàŽÿý¹ÓâÀ<°
 ³??#ÔE(§¶?Ÿ‰é]²Ê.¶??-©?¾'°?¿Ú?ÒÚ‘ë!¢·‘wø§µêìyËb¢Ê{?®?çÿÿÿõ?°??å?ÿÿÿÿñ”,¶§wTT
6?P"¢žØ^™ªâ?¯Á®&§>'«qá«yéÁk/Á®Œ'
‹§·/Ö#ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿýŠ.­ç?Š÷?¶?¬zf¢•·œjë?Ê‹š­ë.nÇ+‰·?¶‹ayh¬r‰ìŠpb­Ø§€×­ÂŠäýh¬n*ÝŸÿÓ¡CRP?‚D€D¢´”?
 ‘ ?ÿºÇ­…墱¸«v|?n)íz·Úqæ­þ?m§ÿÿà ÿ~·ž–+-³ú+ƒùb²ßðŠÆâ­ÙӢǭ ?„I:+T

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:53:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Louise Robbins <louise_robby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Any Bayfield, Red Cliff birding advice

I have to be in Red Cliff next week for a meeting, and I am going to try to
squeeze in a little time for birding. Anyone have advice regarding where in the
Bayfield-Red Cliff areas I should look and what I might be looking for. I'd be
happy to have anyone with advice back channel the information. Thanks in
advance.
Louise

Louise S. Robbins
Louise Stevens Robbins
608-469-3165 (cell)
608-233-3345 (home)
louise_robby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Redpolls, Sauk City
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:07:38 -0600

 There were 15 C. Redpolls, in the birches, on Lueders Road.
 I can't think of the name of the road. Going west out of Mazomanie, to the end
of Hudson St. , it's the road that goes north and ends at the marsh. I had 5
grackles.
 Lots of eagles in Sauk-Prairie today.
 Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:31:35 -0600
Subject: [wisb] Snowy Owl Sheboygan
From: Ellen Klusmeier <ellen.klusmeier@xxxxxxxxx>

I went to the harbor marina to look for snowy owl since there have been
sightings(and read the WSO group trip report from last weekend).  I
eventually spotted one on the breakwater wall and observed it between
11am-noon.  Talked to fishermen on the piers and they said they saw a dead
one in the water a few weeks ago.
There were 75-100 ducks in the harbor open water and gulls on the ice in
the river, but I didn't stop to ID as I wanted to search for the snowy.

Ellen Klusmeier  Sheboygan WI

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:03:58 -0600
Subject: [wisb] Manitowoc County-1/15/12
From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>

With too much time between church and the Packer game, loaded up the boys
and headed for the Lakeshore to see what we could find.  Best stop was
Point Beach.  At the Rawley's Point Nature Center we watched pairs and
singles of Long-tailed Ducks shuttle up and down the shoreline.  Also
moving about were small flocks of both Common and Red-breasted Mergansers.
But the highlights were 8 White-winged Scoters which came in near-shore and
landed a couple hundred yards out as well as a single Greater Black-backed
Gull circling its way north up the beach.  A good half-mile out on the lake
a cloud of a thousand ducks at least came off the water, moved a short
distance then disappeared into the waves.
Two Rivers and Manitowoc both held lots of birds, but nothing particularly
unusual.  My patience for inpsecting flocks of gulls however, is limited.

Took a shot for the Snowy Owl at Collins on the way home.  Took Hwy. JJ to
Quarry Rd., then circumnavigated the marsh to no avail.  But picked up a
nice variety of other raptors as well a pheasant and turkeys.

Complete list below...

Manitowoc County, WI, US, Manitowoc, US-WI
Jan 15, 2012 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
30.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Point Beach, Two Rivers, Manitowoc, and Collins
Marsh-Manitowoc County
26 species
Canada Goose  30
American Black Duck  6
Mallard  20
Greater Scaup  10
White-winged Scoter  8
Long-tailed Duck  15
Bufflehead  12
Common Goldeneye  200
Common Merganser  40
Red-breasted Merganser  20
Ring-necked Pheasant  1
Wild Turkey  15
Northern Harrier  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  3
Rough-legged Hawk  2
American Kestrel  3
Herring Gull  500
Great Black-backed Gull  1
Rock Pigeon  X
Mourning Dove  X
American Crow  X
European Starling  X
American Tree Sparrow  30
Dark-eyed Junco  40
Northern Cardinal  2

--
*Andrew Reimer*
*Appleton (Darboy), Calumet County   *

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 23:09:02 +0000 (UTC)
From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] No more Summer Tanager in Woodruff

I received an e-mail from the host of the Summer Tanager, that was still being
seen up in the Woodruff area. This last Friday was the last day that they saw
the bird. They had to run into Wausau yesterday morning, so they didn't see it
before they left. When they returned in the early afternoon they kept looking
for it to come into the feeders, but it was a no show. Today it wasn't seen
either. So maybe this bird moved on to some other feeder, or maybe not.

Dan Belter
Village of Weston
Marathon Co, WI

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:21:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Joan Grant <joancurlew@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Red Polls   ---   Green Bay

Hello Birders, Just before the Packer game started I was in the kitchen

making an iced tea and getting some munchies and looked my window

to see a half dozen Red Polls feeding on the ground with the Juncos!

First I have see this winter & nice to have in my yard.

Now it is half time so......................

GO PACK GO      Joan Grant     Green Bay   Brown Cty.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:24:09 -0600
From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Forest County birds today

The rowdy group of birders from Madison started out early today on Fire Lane
Rd. north of Conover in Vilas Co.  While we saw grouse tracks in the snow, we
saw no actual grouse, unfortunately. Did have our first Ravens of the trip.
We continued on the road to County E and worked our way over to Alvin in Forest
County, stopping first at the Brule River campground just north of there (dead
quiet.)  At Alvin, the northernmost house on Hwy 55 had only a couple of BC
Chickadees, but a new feeding station at a home on the other (west) side of the
road farther south had a flock of Evening Grosbeaks and a few Am. Goldfinches.
The Grosbeaks were flying back and forth between that house and the one up on
the hill - we estimated 40-50 in total.  Also had close to 20 Mourning Doves,
Downy and Hairy WPs and a few Blue Jays there.

We drove south on Hwy 55, chancing that we'd be able to get through from the
east end of the Pine River Rd.   The gamble paid off as we had a small flock of
White-winged Crossbills feeding in the road (one of which unfortunately got
picked off by a truck while we watched them.)  Farther south, a larger flock of
birds took off from the road, but we couldn't get much on them.  Pat Ready
thought they probably were WW Crossbills also.  Our best find was a little ways
south of there, where we spotted a flock of a dozen or so Pine Grosbeaks in a
tree next to the highway.  Great looks were had by all.

We found the Pine River Rd. unplowed but passable (it had been plowed as far as
Giant Pine Rd. after the most recent snowfall up here a few days ago.)  The
Pine River bridge was achingly quiet, although once or twice we thought we
heard some distant drumming, and a few of our party saw a woodpecker fly across
the road that was a good candidate for Black-backed, but extensive searching
yielded no good looks at it.  The bog just west of Giant Pine was similarly
quiet, so we went into Three Lakes for lunch and came back out on Sheltered
Valley Rd. afterward.  Still nothing at that bog, so we went down Giant Pine
Rd. to the trail of the same name and hiked in.  Almost immediately, we could
hear a bird calling insistently, and I finally spotted it up in the top of a
birch.  It was a female/immature Red Crossbill, the only one we've seen so far.
 We hiked out a ways into the bog on the boardwalk and tried playing Boreal
Chickadee calls, but got no response after several minutes and
  turned around to go back to the cars.  We fortunately hadn't gotten far when
I heard something behind us and turned just in time to see a small bird flit
into a spruce.  I hurried back to where we'd been and heard a Boreal Chickadee,
then another.  There apparently were three, although I only saw two of them,
and I think Dan Doeppers and I were the only ones who had a very good look at
any of them (they were close and calling, but stayed deep in the spruces.)

We checked Scott Lake Rd. west of Giant Pine, but had only a few Chickadees,
although I wasn't entirely certain they were all Black-capped.  Unfortunately,
we missed seeing or hearing any woodpeckers there, as well (in general, they've
been hard to come by - think we only have a couple of Pileateds and a few each
of Downies and Hairies.)   No Gray Jays yet, either.  With luck, we'll be able
to come up with another species or two tomorrow.

Peter Fissel
(currently)
Rhinelander WI

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Red-throated Loon/Ozaukee County
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:03:11 -0600

On Jan. 1, Carl Schwartz and some of the other participants in the Riveredge
field trip told me they had seen two Red-throated Loons in the Port
Washington
harbor, and I looked for them that afternoon and one other time since then
without finding them. Today, however, at least one was in the harbor. It
was diving continuously, and since Red-throated Loons are known for swimming
long distances, surfacing at different places all over the harbor. Since I
never saw two of them in a single scope view, I am reporting only one, but
there could have been two.
I did not find the Lesser Black-backed Gull reported by Andrea Szymczak
yesterday, but I did see 4 Great Black-backed and 3 Glaucous Gulls on the
breakwalls
of the harbor.

Thomas C Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Sheboygan County this P.M.
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:13:20 -0600

There was a nice flock of Lapland Longspurs, Horned Larks, and a few Snow
Buntings on Six Mile Rd. between Sheboygan County D and G. I was surprised
at the large number of Horned Larks in the flock and how few Snow Buntings
there were.
In Sheboygan, The Barrow's Goldeneye is continuing at its usual location in
the harbor, seen from South Pier at Blue Harbor Resort. Also in the area
were
3 Great Black-backed Gulls and 4 Glaucous Gulls. The Snowy Owl as previously
reported by Ellen Klusmeier was on the east breakwall of the marina.
The wind really was strong by the time I left and the lake very choppy at
the point, so I did not spend much time there.

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:33:05 -0600
Subject: [wisb] Iceland Gull, Milwaukee
From: Matthew Kemp <mattkemp04@xxxxxxxxx>

There was an adult Iceland (Kumlien's) Gull among the Herring Gulls at the
Texas Avenue overlook this afternoon, flying back and forth near the gap in
the breakwall.
Matt Kemp
Milwaukee

------------------------------

From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Snowy Owls on eBird
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:47:46 -0700

Thanks to all who have entered their Snowy Owl sightings into eBird. Jesse
Ellis has been updating eBird with sightings of birds posted on the listserve
here and I have been adding many sightings sent directly to me from the public
who don't post to this list or use eBird. We're probably pushing a couple
hundred owls seen in the state now, though tracking different individuals on
such a large scale has become difficult. If you're looking for Snowies, the map
linked here should be of good help. If you've seen a Snowy that isn't on this
map, send to Jesse or myself the date, location, and any photos so we can add
it to the database.  Thanks.

www.tinyurl.com/snowyowlWIthruJan

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady
------------------------------

From: "R & C Dermody" <cdermody@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] e-bird
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:31:12 -0600

I have never posted to e-bird.  Lately a few of my observations have been of
at least some significance and I feel I should post though I am unsure how
to do this.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice,

Cathy Dermody, Southeastern Milwaukee County

To change DIGEST modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:
//www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn####################