[wisb] Pike strikes again!

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:05:22 -0500

Scoping Pike Lake this time of year is a really great time- mainly because I
enjoy waterfowl.  Finding decent viewing spots can be difficult but there are
some elevated perches that make ids straightforward.  At one of those locations
this a.m. I hoped the avocets seen yesterday were still present- they weren't,
so I'm glad I got a digiscope pic (documentary quality) Sunday afternoon.  So
avocets gone, but eared grebes  a nice substitute!  FOY and county.  Could
almost be a lifer because the last one was in the Port Wash. marina Oct. 1997-
so in winter plumage.  Did see at Mono Lake too.  The two today were absolutely
gorgeous.  Much easier than I'd thought IDing them versus horneds- which are
greatly reduced now but still some nearby for easy comparison.

Did 2 segments of my bb trail later on.  What a letdown!  On the 26th last year
I had 15 nests with eggs.  This year is so strange.  Birds aren't around and
the few pairs that are seem to be delaying for some reason.  Can they portend a
May snowfall?!  I last checked 13 days ago and boxes with partial nests haven't
changed a bit.  How did this bird fare over the winter and this Spring because
the population seems depressed.  One bonus- I managed to trap and dispose of
the only HOSP I'm aware of at my golf course trail.  Removing 24 from here last
year looks like it helped.  If you haven't trapped before, the VanErt trap is
simply awesome.  So easy and effective.  I placed it in the box and returned 10
mins. later and he was in there.  Get the male and the box should be ok after.

One more item.  We all like limited leaf-out for passerine viewing during May.
From the looks of it, around these parts, there may not be ANY leaves the first
week of May.  Sure some buds have popped, but the majority of trees look like
it's December.  Unless we get several days in the 80s, not much should change.
But then will there be any bugs for the birds too feast on?

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County####################