[wisb] Pewaukee Birds - Virginia Rails increasing

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 23:04:24 -0500

I spent a few hours birding in Pewaukee today. The east end of Pewaukee
Lake held a decent number of COMMON LOONS (12), HORNED GREBES (24),
PIED-BILLED GREBES (85) and RED-BREASTED MERGS (15).
I then moved to the Pewaukee River Parkway where VIRGINIA RAIL and BROWN
THRASHER numbers continue to rise. Today I counted 5 VIRAs & 4 BRTHs. Also
a couple SORAS vocalized tonight for the first time this spring. Sparrow
diversity increased with FIELD SPARROW making an appearance. A few fly-over
RUSTY BLACKBIRDS seemed to be booking northwards. For the
*what-the-heck*bird of the night, I startled an OSPREY from its roost
right next to the
parking lot well after sunset. I would have missed it, but it called
briefly before flying away. I'm guessing it was attempting to rest for the
night, since there's not really enough open water for at least a mile on
which to hunt.

Cheers!

Tim Hahn
Pewaukee, WI