[wisb] Re: PACIFIC LOON in Madison (Dane Co.)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:06:53 -0500

As Tom Prestby posted for me (thanks, Tom - sorry you weren't in town!), I
found a classic winter-plumaged Pacific Loon on Lake Monona in Madison after
work today.  It was pure luck that I happened to have my scope along - Peter
Gorman, Jim Otto and I had given a staff development lunchtime brownbag program
on birding at our library, so I decided to bring the full gamut of gear along -
good thing!

I parked at the Brittingham Boat House on North Shore Dr., just off John Nolen
Dr., and after a quick look at the triangular "railroad bay" there, I crossed
John Nolen Dr. and set up at the concrete dock ramp near the intersection of
North Shore and Nolen.  There were a few Common Loons close in, so I began
counting those and then scanned farther out, looking southeast towards the city
of Monona.  The sixth or seventh loon I looked at was immediately apparent as
NOT a Common Loon - solid dark gray back, dark gray cap on a rounded head,
small, light-colored bill, clean line of demarcation between the white foreneck
and dark hindneck, white going up the lower half of the face, dark top half
with the dark part going down to the bottom of the eye, head nearly always held
level when it wasn't preening.  The ID was clinched when it reared up slightly
and raised its head while facing me - a narrow, complete dark "chinstrap" was
quite obvious.  While the bird was quite distant (easily 3/4 of a mile out,)
viewing conditions were excellent with very little chop on the water and good
light from behind me.  I quickly tried to take a photo through the scope with
my iPod Touch, but what I read about them having a lousy camera proved to be
true (especially with the scope at 50x).

I made a few calls (difficult with the rush hour traffic noise at one of the
busier intersections in downtown Madison.)  I got hold of John Romano and Pat
Ready, both of whom said they were on their way.  Tom Prestby unfortunately was
out of town, but kindly posted the bird for me.  I tried a couple of other
people without success, so went back to my scope - no loon there.  I scanned
and scanned, but couldn't refind it by the time John got there.  We kept
scanning, finding at least 20 Common Loons, but could not find the Pacific.
Pat got there and did spot a Forster's Tern among all the Bonaparte's Gulls.
After Pat and John left, I relocated to the Olin Park boat launch to see if I
could spot it again.  After scanning from shore, I moved out onto one of the
docks to scan, and all of a sudden came upon a sleeping loon that looked
suspicious.  As soon as it lifted its head, I realized it was the Pacific.  I
watched it for several more minutes as it lazed around (I never did see it
diving.)   When it tucked its head back to go to sleep again, I moved back onto
solid land (the dock was a bit rolly in the light chop,) but could not relocate
it again.  I also tried from Esther Beach off Waunona Way just north of the
Beltline, but I believe the loon was farther east.  It might be a good spot to
check from tomorrow morning, though, at least once the sun gets up a bit. (Take
Fisher Rd. off Broadway at the PDQ across from South Towne Mall - Fisher runs
into Waunona Way, and Esther Beach is just a little ways.  There is a small
parking lot.  Another good spot to try tomorrow morning would be from Frost
Woods Beach off Winnequah Dr. in Monona.  Looking at a map, I believe the
Pacific Loon was in the general area of Squaw Bay, at the southeast corner of
Lake Monona.

I have some hope this bird might stick for a little while - the last one we had
on Lake Monona a few years ago did.  I managed to refind that one a day or two
after it first was spotted.

And yes, Ryan, I will submit documentation!

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.