[wisb] Owl Survey-Crawford County.

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 01:36:24 -0500

Hey everyone,
Like Malcolm, and I'm sure many others, I took advantage of the nice weather
and ran my owl route along Hwy 61 near Soldiers Grove.
Total was 5 Barred Owls and 2 Great Horned Owls. Interestingly, the stops that
I had expected E Screech-owls at were silent.  Other birds included a few
flyover Fox Sparrows, a couple Am Woodcock and a few interesting sounds.
At one stop, I heard something large fly over that I can only imagine must have
been a Crane or something of similar size. The sound of the air rushing over
the feathers was akin to the sound one hears when flying a kite (the sound of
the kite rattling in the wind) Whatever it was, was only about 50ft up.
At another stop, I heard a call that was repeated rapidly, at 1 or 2 second
intervals for about a minute at a time. It was something like a cross between a
Yellow-billed Cuckoo call and the call of an Eastern Meadowlark. a rattling
"jchup, jchup... jchup jhchup jchup, jchup jchup"   It wasn't any vocalization
I'm familiar with.

Kind of interesting the things you hear out there at night. Sometimes you never
know what you'll hear.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)