[wisb] Orchard vs Baltimore ?

  • From: <dkuecherer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 22:35:23 +0000

Hi:
I have about 200 yards of Milwaukee River frontage.  Numerous trees et.

I have been watching two pairs of Orchard Orioles and several pairs of
Baltimore.

At this time several of the young are showing up to my jelly and orange feeder.
 The feeder is next to a tree that the orioles normally land in before jumping
on to the feeder.  All these photos were taken yesterday.  Some are self
explanatory however, a little difficulty with a couple of them.

This Oriole causes me to do a backtrack.. I have not seen anything like it
before.  The guides do mention a few things, but I am still a little undecided.
 Both shots are of the same Oriole. Male/Female?

http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/113536668
http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/113536672

These Orioles should be self explanatory but, take a look at the difference in
coloration.  Every day, all the young are changing in appearance. I labeled one
of them.

http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/113536676
http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/113536679

These two Orioles are young of the year... 1st Summer Orchards.  However, the
bib does not go down and the bill is only half colored so far. Only part of it
is silvery.  It is rare that I have seen this.

http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/113542610
http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/113542611

Here are two shots.  One each of the female Baltimore and the female Orchard
for comparison.  Their young are either male or female which can cause some of
the confusion.  I could put on about 10 more different colored young.

http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/113582808
http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/113582819

As I stated before, all the above shots were taken yesterday.  Happy Oriole
looking.  Will welcome any comments as to which, male or female, stage, etc.
It is interesting, today I had one Baltimore young that had nothing but dark
spots and one blotch.  Hope to get the camera on it later today as tomorrow it
will most likely look different.
Dennis Kuecherer
Saukville, WI