[wisb] Old Birds

  • From: Victoria Sokolowski <vasladyvet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 16:00:31 -0500

I know all of you on the bird list are bird lovers, so I thought you might
understand my sense of loss. On Wednesday my pet Impeyan Monal Pheasant died -
he was hatched on my farm either in 1994 or 1995 - I can't remember which for
sure, but I did not hatch any after 1995 . He was hatched and raised by his
mother in one of our pens - not in an incubator. He was one of 4 chicks from
that brood. He was a good friend and one heck of a watch dog at our farm. He
raised quite a racket anytime we had an owl on the place - he hated them the
most. Strange dogs, raccoons, skunks, cats all got scolded, but owls really got
told off. He would wake me many a night screaming, and there would be a Great
Horned Owl perched on one of the pheasant pen posts. I will miss hearing his
call. He was a big pheasant but ate less than most little pheasants, and he was
a joy to have as part of my family for all these years. I don't know how old
most of them get to be, but he was almost either 19 or 20 depending on which
year he hatched. I quit raising pheasants many years ago, but kept some of my
last friends until they died. I lost a 19 year old call duck this fall, and a
19 year old peacock last year. All my old birds are now gone. I had no idea
these birds could live for so long. Thanks for listening and understanding ,
and happy birding this year to all. I really enjoy reading about all the birds
everyone is seeing.

Victoria Sokolowski
Ladysmith, WI
Rusk County