[wisb] Re: Of Cuckoos - anecdotes - and eBird

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:53:43 -0500

Andy's point is spot on. That is, my anecdotal observations completely jibe
with the ebird data, ergo, they must be right.
Just kidding. His point about eBird is spot on. That said, not only should
you use ebird to check out trends, but please upload data as well! The data
are only worth anything if enough people have contributed. We're getting
over a critical mass for that recently, but please don't assume your
observations are already being counted by others, etc. The more people that
contribute, the better the data!

Once you start trying the View and Explore, you really get a sense for how
eBird is becoming an amazing tool for understanding birds, so definitely
give that a shot.

Andrea's point about the atlas is great, too. Older ebird data are tough to
come by and rarer species are probably underrepresented because birders
aren't hitting every area of the state equally, but the atlas, which was an
attempt at a complete record, might give a better sense of overall
distributions of breeding birds.

Jesse Ellis

Post-doctoral Researcher
Dept. of Zoology