[wisb] OT: Forest Management and Bird Habitats

  • From: timarytm@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 05:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

We own a small piece of forest (around 5 acres) but bordered on two sides by
Nicolet National Forest and a third side by private forest. It has many dead
and
dying old trees and most trees on the lot are probably 60 - 80+ years
old...maples, oaks, ironwoods, poplars, birch, almost no evergreens. Trees are
very tall 75-100 feet and canopy is almost complete over acreage. We are
thinking to have it marked by the DNR if they still do this service and
"managed" for forest land. We just like owning it as a forest and are not
looking to sell wood off of it but it seems a bit hazardous right now with so
many downed or hung up trees, especially after last falls wind storm. We are
also thinking we need to get some new trees an opportunity to grow. However, I
am wondering what is best for the birds and other wildlife? I know the dead
trees are used by many! Should we have it marked and then save some of the
larger dead trees? Should we just totally leave it alone? We are also
considering clear cutting a 15 ' wide swath on one lot line and planting in
pine
trees. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Mary Maertz
Forest County