[wisb] Northwoods snow/road conditions

  • From: Nancy Richmond <polarpastor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 08:52:15 -0500

Mike Duchek asked for information regarding snow in Rhinelander/Eagle River
so here are my observations-
March 22- 23 we got 15-18" of snow in Rhinelander. Less (6-8") in Eagle
River. That fell on top of 6-8"+ of old crusty snow. This big dump has
melted and settled somewhat. Yesterday varying amounts of wet heavy snow
fell 3-6" Amounts of snow from these 2 storms is locally variable. There's a
ton of snow in the woods. Back roads will be very interesting right now. The
frost is moving. There's a lot of moisture and the temperatures can't decide
whether to freeze up or melt down. It's been above freezing each day (in the
30's and 40's) and barely below each night. Good for the maple sap run, not
so good for firming up the roads. Conditions are perfect to get mired in the
mud out of cell phone range especially if you have 4-wheel drive which
sometimes gets people into more trouble than out (overconfidence).

I have Owl survey and Red shouldered Hawk routes to run and if it doesn't
either dry up or freeze pretty soon they aren't going to happen.

Nancy Richmond
Polar and Rhinelander Langlade and Oneida Co.