[wisb] Northern/central WI report and photos (long)

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:18:39 -0600

Three of us just got back from a weekend north.  We had a very good weekend
overall.  If you just want to see photos (Some good, some bad) instead of the
long report, click here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/582212818vTMcqi?vhost=outdoors
Saturday we got up and went to Fire Lane Rd. (Vilas Co.).  Nothing was there of
note.  We probably got there a little later than the ideal, but we never saw
another vehicle or person either.  We went back the way we came and headed to
Alvin via HWY 70.

In Alvin I quickly heard evening grosbeaks at the feeder which I believe is on
the north side of 4th St.  A few were there but not many.  At the Stapleton
feeder were several blue jays.  But then we got to a house on First St. where
there were many EVENING GROSBEAKS.  They were all in a planter which must be
filled with seed or something.  And they have a hopper feeder.  Also present
were pine siskins and other standard birds.  We then headed north on 55 to
check that feeder.  I swore I was hearing something familiar here.  At first it
looked dead, until we noticed a bird on the ground.  Initially assumed it was
another evening grosbeak but when I looked it was a female/imm. PINE GROSBEAK.
More came into view, including two adult males.  Vowing to come back on our way
back, we headed to the Brule River Campground.

Got there and walked in toward the back.  We made our way down to the river
eventually and within minutes I was able to bring in two GRAY JAYS.  We got
some nice views of them as we were standing on the frozen Brule River between
Wisconsin and Michigan.  We moved into the campground and also got nice looks
at them from in there.  I brought some peanuts and we waited to see if they'd
go for them but they seemed to stay in the trees.  Also believe we heard there
one flyover WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL.  We then decided to head out.

Meanwhile, back in Alvin...  We stopped again at the Highway 55 feeder, and
there seemed to be even more pine grosbeaks there feeding than before, in the
trees and near the feeder, as well as COMMON REDPOLLS.  And then I heard some
more noise.  And with that two GRAY JAYS swooped in toward the feeders.  Did
they follow us from the campground???  Pretty neat anyway.  After all that we
headed to the Pine River pullout.

Immediately we heard some chickadees including at least 2 BOREAL CHICKADEES.
Never saw them but heard them unmistakably.  Way out south of the bridge was a
big flock of maybe 40 COMMON REDPOLLS which moved in quickly giving us the
opportunity to ID them before they were gone.  Heard no woodpeckers till I
walked west a block or two and on the north side of the road I could hear some.
 I had to go a little into the woods to find some of them but there were at
least 3 woodpeckers stripping bark, but alas none were anything but downy or
hairy.  Still, worth it to check here for anyone heading over there.

Next stop was my spot on Military Rd.  After a 15 or so minute hike in on FR
2043 I reached the big hemlock spot that had served me well before and
literally within seconds got a response from at least 2 BOREAL CHICKADEES.
This time everyone eventually got looks at them and I got a couple photos off
but by then it was overcast.  Nothing much else here this time, not even the
gray jays I usually find there but we didn't linger too long.

Last stop was the Giant Pine Trail.  Here our best and basically only find was
4 birds which Jasonn saw and ID'd as RED CROSSBILLS but they were gone before I
got there though I heard them.

Today we went to Star Lake Trail in Vilas Co. in the state forest.  Pretty
quiet other than 2 COMMON RAVENS.  Following some car issues, we then made our
way to Buena Vista Grasslands.

There we soon saw some birds way out which we ID'd as at least 20 PRAIRIE
CHICKENS though they were too far to pick out anything besides size, shape,
dark color and behavior (grainy photos).  Were also able to find 1 kestrel, 1
northern harrier, 1 dark morph rough-legged hawk, 1 SNOWY OWL, 1 red-tailed
hawk, and then at dusk two SHORT-EARED OWLS at dusk on Lake Rd. west of Taft
Rd. thanks to a tip from someone from Plover we met there.  All in all a good
weekend but poor overcast weather today.  Photos at above link, please
backchannel for more info or directions on anything.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.