[wisb] Northern Hawk Owl Door Co. Wednesday 2/13 some images

  • From: Jim Edlhuber <jimedlhuber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:40:43 -0600

Hello all,

I made a trip up to Door County in hopes to view the Northern Hawk Owl. I
located the owl after about 10 minutes in an area with smaller pines near
the intersection of Hwy 57 and Q just past dawn. The bird was in the
general area the entire time I was there. During my time there, I also
traveled nearby roads in hopes to see some other species that have been
reported but came up empty. I had hoped for the blue skies that had been in
the weather forecast but that never happened but winds were calm. It was
amazing to watch the owl in action going after food. At one point it took a
large native mole out of the ditch across from me and sent the snow flying!
It then flew to the wire above and made the final kill. After some time
passed, it took the remains of the mole a dead tree top cavity and stored
the mole there, obviously for a future meal. I did get a few images to
share, and I tried to photograph the events as I saw them. Just a note,
there are a few of images with the mole hanging from the owls mouth.

On the trip back, I check the area in Kewaunee Co for the Gray Partridge
but found none.

The Kewaunee harbor had 2 Bald Eagles. The hawk count for the day was, 21
Red-tailed, 9 Rough-legged and 2 Kestrels.

Thanks to who originally found the Northern Hawk Owl, and all the others
that have kept the posts going on it.

A link to the images of the Northern Hawk Owl in Door County:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109038919513758014473/NorthernHawkOwlDoorCounty2132013

Thanks and good birding!

Jim Edlhuber

Town of Genesee, Waukesha Co