[wisb] North trip birds - comments/photos incl Varied Thrush

  • From: "pready tds.net" <pready@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:55:38 -0600

On our trip up north last weekend we did see about 35 species. But we were
up there birding 3 days plus.
This gave us quite a bit more opportunities then when birding there for a
day. Almost the entire time we were there it was sunny and unseasonably
warm.
On Mon morning it was cloudy most of the time and we did notice much less
bird activity in the forest.
On the sunny days we saw lots of chickadees (no Boreal unfortunately) and
Red-breasted Nuthatches. I wouldn't say White-winged Crossbills were
abundant but we did see them each day we were out.
I was hesitant to go with the reports of a bad winter bird year up there but
was glad I went. The northern forest are wonderful to be in even if the
birding was slow at times.
I enjoyed the company of my fellow birders and took photos to pass the time.
Here is the link to my slideshow on Picasa including a few shots of the
Varied Thrush at Martin's in Merrill.
Shot thru window glass so clarity slightly diminished. My apologies.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Readyworks2/110NorthwoodsTrip#
There's a nice group shot of the 6 Madison birders too.

Pat Ready
Dane Co.