[wisb] Nine Springs - 5 swallow sp.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:53:02 -0500

I stopped for a fairly quick check of Nine Springs on the south side of Madison
after work today.  Lots of swallows were feeding low over the water. Most were
Tree and Barn, but there were at least two Northern Rough-wings and single
Cliff and Bank.  (A couple of those were FOY for me.)  Also picked up two FOY
shorebirds - Wilson's Phalarope and Spotted Sandpiper.  The latter were a pair
that seemed to be engaging in courtship (they nest at Nine Springs most years.)
 Only other shorebirds were both Yellowlegs and Killdeer.  Also saw my first
Canada goslings of the season. This may be the first year I've seen a Wilson's
Phalarope before seeing - or hearing - a Wilson's Snipe... weird.

Afterward, I went on the Turville Point Spring Ephemerals walk at 6:30.  Heard
an Eastern Towhee or two, and there seemed to finally be a big influx of
White-throats.  We heard a couple of Common Loons calling from Lake Monona,
which is always fun.  As the trip wrapped up at 8:00 p.m., there seemed to be a
wave of Yellow-rumps coming in past the parking lot.  Still the only warbler
species I've seen this year - come on, Spring!

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.