[wisb] Nicolet National Forest birding trip

  • From: Adam Sinkula <adam0227@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 08:42:11 -0600

On Saturday, February 9 the Bay Area Bird Club left for Nicolet National Forest
hoping to see several of the northern specialties Wisconsin offers.  What
started with 8 birders in 3 cars was soon down to 6 birders after car trouble.
                We made good time and started the day off with a common raven
flyover as we approached Alvin.  In Alvin we were able to get many feeder birds
including pine grosbeaks and lots of common redpolls among the feeders and five
deer that were as curious about us as we were of them.
                We then made of way to the popular Pine River Bridge.  Although
picturesque, it yielded us only a red-breasted nuthatch for our list. The rest
of the forest roads were very quiet even on a beautiful day.
                Then we made our way towards Three Lakes and at a feeder behind
the golf course, we added pine siskin and a bright male white-winged crossbill
among more redpolls.
                After several more quiet hours logged on the forest roads we
changed up strategy, focusing more on small towns and county and state
highways.  Hiles was very birdy, but nothing new was added.  We then went on
County O east of Argonne.  At one spot and were able to pish in no less than 30
chickadees at the same time!  We tried really hard to pick out a boreal but to
no avail.  Further down we were able to pick up a red crossbill atop some
pines.
                After turning onto hwy 139 we quickly pulled over and were able
to identify a gray jay!  We then headed back adding red-tailed and rough-legged
hawks.
                As we approached our return we had daylight left, so we decided
to see what we could find at the Fox River mouth.  We added 9 more species
including the resident peregrine falcon and good looks at a glaucous gull.  We
ended the day with 30 species and some tired birders, but a good day
nonetheless!

Adam Sinkula
Green Bay - Brown County