[wisb] New Texas bird

  • From: "Audrey & Larry Johnson" <lorilynnfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:05:47 -0600

I guess it is not just a Texas bird but a new one for the US.  An Amazon
Kingfisher was reported to be at Zacate Creek in Laredo, TX.  Since this is
only about 150 miles from Corpus Christi, I decided to try for it.  When I got
there at about 10:00 last Thursday, observers were leaving since the bird had
been seen at shortly after 8 but not since.  After five patient hours of
visiting with people from practically every corner of the US., our target came
to the creek at 3:00 and spent some time fishing and posing for all the
cameras.  This winter is shaping up to be a good one for rarities down here.  I
have had the privilege of seeing the Bare-faced Tiger Heron, Northern Wheatear,
Northern Jacana and now the Amazon Kingfisher.  While I was waiting for the
kingfisher, I saw a White-collared Seedeater and a Black Phoebe in the same
shrub.  I have enjoyed the past five winters here but this may be the best.
Two weeks ago we had a rain storm that dumped 5 inches on our camper.  The next
morning, the grassy area behind us was full of fresh water puddles that the
shore birds and others found irresistible.  I found 4 plover species and 12
sandpipers from the back window.  By good luck and circumstance, my bird list
for January stands at 160 species.  I am very fortunate to be able to be here
and to be able to be a birder in such a wonderful place.  I wish every one of
you could experience the same.
Larry Johnson    Sparta, WI and Corpus Christi, TX (Winter Texan)