[wisb] New Species! Southern Kettle Moraine, Waukesha Co.

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:16:47 -0500

Anne Moretti and I began at 5 a.m. listening for birds at the Scupppernong
Ski/Hiking Trails.  First we were treated to a burst of WHIP-POOR-WILL song
from approximately 100 ft away!  The exquisite song (& a few calls notes) of a
WOOD THRUSH followed after we had traveled a short distance further.  We also
heard the BLUE-HEADED VIREO, GOLDEN-CR KINGLETS, RED-BR NUTHATCH, and PINE
WARBLERS.
A stop at the Beaver Dam Marsh produced one RED-NECKED GREBE and one COMMON
LOON, along with BELTED KINGFISHER and HOODED MERGS.
The Scuppernong Prairie yielded N. HARRIER and WILSON'S SNIPE.
Scuppernong Springs Trail was quieter, but it still gave us a singing N.
WATERTHRUSH & provided Anne the opportunity to show me Bloodroot and Hepatica
flowers!
A YELLOW WARBLER was present across the road at the Ottawa Lake Cmpgrnd.
Our final stop was Lapham Peak SP where we had many nice new birds, including
NASHVILLE and PALM WARBLERS along with the many YELLOW-RUMPS.  Also found were
GREEN HERONS, BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and three BROWN
THRASHERS.
This was a well-timed day off from work & I'm thankful that Anne could
experience it with me!
Andrea Szymczak
Waukesha, WI