[wisb] New Madison yard bird - WW Crossbills!

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:26:46 -0600

Well, last Sunday it was my first-ever "yard" Red Crossbill, and this morning I
looked out to see a pair of White-winged Crossbills on the thistle seed feeder.
Unlike the Red, which vanished after five or ten minutes, these have been
coming and going all morning, and also have been on the black oil/safflower mix
feeder.   Pine Siskins and Common Redpolls continue to show up in small
numbers, plus the rest of the "usual suspects".

I just know that there's a Hoary Redpoll out there somewhere... maybe I'll get
lucky on next weekend's Great Backyard Bird Count.

Peter Fissel
Southeast side of
Madison, Dane Co.