[wisb] More swallows in Oshkosh, + very interesting record

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:26:41 -0700 (PDT)

     Good late evening folks  ---   Had the chance to get out to another
favorite site of mine, the High Tressle train tracks, an abandoned set of
tracks that run north/south out of town.  Along these tracks south of Ripple
Rd. and off of Hwy. 45 you'll find a moraine-type habitat, a large woodland
with a valley and a flowing creek.  I wouldn't be surprised to find an Acadian
Flycatcher there, though I once did get a Cerulean Warbler here back in ' 95.
Today I scored cliff swallows*, 5 Woodpecker sps.,  flickers, YB sapsucker, RB,
Hairy and downy.  But the big kicker out here was the flock of blackbirds
est'd. to be around 300 birds, over HALF of them being Cowbirds, a lot of young
male & female RW's,  a few rusties and just a couple starlings.  Another stop I
made was along 45, just within a driveway that leads to who-knows-where,  but
it's heavily wooded and here I got Barn Swallows*,  another hermit thrush,  2
brown creepers and a fox
 sparrow.  Had a nice time out, and somewhere different for a change. Saw about
40 Bonaparte's gulls on the way to work.  Yay !

       Paul Bruce, Winnebago Co.