[wisb] Milwaukee lakefront, 4/7/11 - Four Black-crowned Night-Herons!!

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:37:24 -0700 (PDT)

Not a good day for birding on the Milwaukee lakefront. Fog all day, getting
thicker now. Temps never got out of the 30s. Bone-chilling dampness. At least
the winds weren't too bad.

There was a foghorn blaring out in the harbor. Gulls calling incessantly.
Chilly fog. Felt like Bodega Bay California in August. :-)

Highlights from this AM:

* Black-crowned Night-Heron. Four birds. Three perched in the same tree on the
east side of Veterans Park lagoon, and another perched nearby at a lower
position. Most I've ever seen on one outing!! Seems a tad early for so many
birds, but very cool!! 2011 BIGBY species #102!!

* Fox Sparrow. Four to five birds at the south end of Veterans Park lagoon. One
started singing spontaneously and two others joined in. Beautiful spring
serenade!

* Song Sparrow. Singing his heart out in Lakeshore State Park. Another great
springtime serenade!

* Eastern Phoebe. First time I've seen one in Lakeshore State Park.

* Lots of Horned Grebes everywhere I went.

* Horned and Pied-billed Grebes in the Veterans Park lagoon.

* 25-30 American Coots. Highest count of the year!

* Several hundred Scaups, with Goldeneyes, Buffleheads, and Red-breasted
Mergansers mixed in.

* And big boats moored at the docks in McKinley Marina. Definite sign of
spring!!!

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee