[wisb] Milwaukee lakefront 4/2

  • From: Chris Petherick <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird List Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 23:01:26 +0000 (UTC)

I had a chance to get to the Coast Guard Impoundment and Lakeshore State
Park/Veterans Park this morning.
Quite a bit of activity at the CGI today, including 2 kestral chasing an
unwanted Merlin!  Next up, a crow chasing this same merlin before the merlin
turned around and began chasing the crow.  Quite fun to watch the aeriel
acrobatics.  Other sightings at the CGI included:

Pintails
Redheads
BW Teal
GW Teal
Killdeer
Song Sparrow
PB Grebe
Ruddy Ducks
Gadwall
Am Black Ducks
GB Heron
Shovelers
Bufflehead
Scaup
Goldeneye
RB Merganser
Coots

At Lakeshore State Park I came across 2 Common Loons doing their mating
dance/calls in the harbor.  It was really cool to watch them start about 50
yards apart and slowly move closer, calling and bobbing their heads all the
way, until they were next to each other before diving.  Other notables at
Lakeshore State Park included a Surf Scoter very near shore and a few Ruddy
ducks in with some scaup.

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, MKE County