[wisb] Milwaukee, Ozaukee and Sheboygan Counties today.

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 23:45:08 -0600

Hi all,
Alex Stark and I birded from Milwaukee north to Sheboygan today. Sounds like we
weren't the only ones either. Looks like quite a few people were out today
despite the relatively chilly temps.
Our first stop this morning was for the Snowy Owl at the CGI at 7:30am that
chose not to show, despite our spending two hours waiting. We did get some
goodies while waiting though.  A Peregrine Falcon was a nice addition for the
day as well as 5 Savannah Sparrows, a flock of Tree Sparrows, Goldfinches and
one Song Sparrow.  In some open water between the piers, we added C Goldeneye,
Greater Scaup, all three Mergansers and Mallard for the year.
Our second stop of the day was Port Washington where the Kittiwake gave
excellent views.  The bird flew around a bit and sat with the gull flock
briefly before going back to it's former spot on the ice, closer to the pier.
It appears to have some ice frozen to a few of it's chest feathers.  Hopefully,
this will not slow it down.  Also present in Port Washington were a couple
hundred Canada Geese and a couple Glaucous Gulls.
A quick run up Six Mile Rd (The Ozaukee county one) produced only Horned Larks,
Longspurs, a few Rough-legged Hawks and a N Shrike.
County D at Harrington Beach had only Goldeneye and tons of ice.  A quick stop
just west of the entrance produced the Harris's Sparrow.  Upon arriving home, I
discovered, to my amazement, that this was an unexpected lifer. This brings my
life list to 599.........  Also with the Harris's Sparrow were our first House
Sparrows of the year, Mourning Doves, Juncos and Chickadees as well as more
Tree Sparrows.
Another run up Six Mile road produced nothing different.
The Barrow's Goldeneye at Sheboygan Harbor was quite obliging and took only a
few seconds to pick out of the hundred or so Commons.  Also present were at
least 4 Glaucous Gulls and several Great Black-backed Gulls.  We could not
locate a Thayer's or an Iceland despite intensive searching.
It took slightly longer to locate the Harlequin Duck at North Point, but we
managed to find it floating just north of the most northerly pier, just south
of the point.
Our next stop was back at Six Mile Rd (Thanks to a tip from Ted Keyel. We
wouldn't have returned otherwise) where we found one of the two Snowy Owls
perched atop a tall tree on the east side of the road, about half a mile north
of County D.
We then bombed it to Horicon, hoping to get there in time to look for
Short-eared Owls. In the end, due to the setting sun and locked gates, we ended
up running out of daylight and hearing only a couple Great Horned Owls.
On the way home, we stopped at Arena Boat Landing where we picked up a single N
Saw-whet Owl, a Barred Owl, and a couple more Great Horneds.
Bakken's Pond had a single N Saw-whet Owl, calling from the Red Pine grove.
The Cemetery on County JJ had Great Horned and a very vocal Barred Owl.
Despite much searching, we were unable to find a Screech Owl. Sounds like we
should've made a pass through Madison this evening...... lol

In all, we tallied 44 species for the day including 2 Saw-whets, all of our
target species and an unexpected lifer for me. Def an awesome way to spend an
awesome day. Despite the COLD wind and temps.

See some of you next weekend on the WSO trip!!

Til then:
Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)