[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 4/1/11 - Concrete canoe races, plus two new BIGBY species

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 17:49:55 -0700 (PDT)

I birded the southern half of my walking BIGBY route today. Despite the weather
forecasts I encountered no precipitation while I was out (9:30AM - 1:30PM).

My first stop was to view the concrete canoe races in Milwaukee's Veterans
Park. That's right...canoes made of concrete. No, this is not an April Fool's
joke, and I have video to prove it. :-)

* The first event of the day involved the University of Illinois women's team.
In the video they are running a tricky slalom course at the beginning of the
race. I like this video because I worked at Illinois for 30 years, and it was
kinda surreal hearing the I-L-L...I-N-I chant while walking my Milwaukee BIGBY
route: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xiigx-EUjQ

* The UW-Madison men's team shows some good form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hm2j3abdew

* And a video showing several of the concrete canoes on display:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JxZdFIkts

And now for the bird highlights:

* Eastern Phoebe. New BIGBY bird for 2011. At the edge of Veterans Park lagoon.
Chased away by an obnoxious Red-winged Blackbird.

* Brown-headed Cowbird. New BIGBY bird for 2011.

* Brown Creeper. Three birds in the wooded area to the east of Veterans Park
lagoon. Not a new BIGBY species, but the most Brown Creepers I've ever seen at
one time in my life!!!

* Changing of the guard. Today I saw more Horned Grebes than Scaups!! 10-12
Horned Grebes and just 8 Scaups. Looks like the winter duck season might be
over?

* Saw an accipter (Sharp-shinned Hawk?) chase an American Woodcock briefly
above the wooded area just east of the Veterans Park lagoon. The woodcock flew
up pretty high before remembering its chances were better down in the thick
brush. :-)

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee