[wisb] Milwaukee County Sightings

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird List Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:58:10 -0500

Hello,

With the winds we've had the past few days I wanted to get out and see
if there I could find something interesting.  I did a quick walk
through Doctor's park in Fox Point and came across an immature Bald
Eagle flying along the shoreline.  Those are much more regular now, so
nothing unusual there.  Then I spent about an hour on the lakefront in
downtown Milwaukee, first at Lakeshore State Park then, briefly, at
the lagoon at Veteran's Park.  I came across 3 Savannah Sparrows at
LSP, which I thought a bit late maybe, but not an unusual vagrant.
There were a lot of RB and Herring gulls, tons of coots, but not much
else out there.  At the lagoon I found a few Am. Black Ducks and a
single Am. Black Duck x Mallard hybrid mixed in.  But the best finding
down there were 4 Wood Ducks swimming at the south end of the lagoon.
I don't know how unusual they are down there, but I have never seen
any there before.  That pretty much covers it for today, not too much
out there braving the wind.  In my yard I have had a lot of Fox
Sparrows, White Throated Sparrows and a single White Crowned, but no
Harris' Sparrows mixed in.

Lakeshore State Park & Veterans Park Lagoon:

Am. Black Duck
Am. Black Duck x Mallard hybrid
Mallard
Wood Duck
Coots
Herring Gull
RB Gull
Savannah Sparrow
Crow
Canada Geese

Bald Eagle - Doctor's Park

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County