[wisb] Mil. gulls, Sunday

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 20:19:39 -0600

Chuck Heikkinen, Nolan Pope and I went to Milwaukee this afternoon. We checked
for snowy owls under the bridge, near the petrolium pier. No luck. Looking
north though the fence we had a quick glimpse of a probable adult lesser b-b
gull. It disappeared to fast for an ID. A little north, we checked between the
piers for gulls and ducks. Lots of duck, but nothing special. One 1st winter
Thayer's.
 At the corner of the river, near Riptides, there was a hundred gulls floating
out on the ice. 1 ring-billed the rest herring.
 Out at the mouth of the river we could see a couple thousand gulls out far and
to the north. All facing us and the wind. So we had to settle for the gulls out
from the mouth of the river. Most of which were out a ways, but they flew
around alot.
 Steve and John mentioned Kumlien's and we figure we saw 5 different ones. 3
adults with different primary markings. One appeared to have all white
primaries, but it was out a bit. One 2nd and one 3rd winter. Also one which
appeared to be an adult Thayer's, but could have been a darker Kumlien's. A bad
 angle for light.
 It was getting later, but we looked from the back of Veteran's Park. The gulls
that were close enough were herrings with a few ring-billeds.
 The biggest group was still out of range.
 Seemed odd that till there Kumlien's was second in numbers at 5. But I saw a
few more ring-billeds there. No glaucous or black-backed gulls IDed.
 Not as good as I hoped. But looking out from the mouth of the river and
getting practice on Kumlien's isn't a bad way to spend an hour (or more).
Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.