[wisb] Migrant ducks at Neenah/Menasha

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:23:16 -0600

Did a quick "run around" of the lakes and river at Menasha and
Neenah.  It was surprisingly productive as migrants have arrived,
apparently desperate for open water.  The 6 cormorants are doing well
at James Island in Menasha, down about half from the start of the
winter.
There are thousands of gulls and ducks in the area, mainly off
Jefferson Park in Menasha.  The highlights include 2 Great Black-
backed and 2 Glaucous Gulls, plus 2 Ring-billed by James Is.

By Riverside Park and Kimberly Pt in Neenah there were single Great
Black-backed and Glaucous Gulls, plus single Redhead and Gadwall.

At Jefferson Park in Menasha there were 1 Trumpeter and 2 Tundra
Swans (lightly was difficult), 1 Wood Duck, 35 Redheads, 15 Lesser
and 2 Greater Scaup, 8 Ruddy Ducks, 1 Canvasback and 1 Wood Duck.
While a few Ruddies wintered most of these, plus the other ducks are
spring arrivals.  And of course there were thousands of C.
Goldeneyes, plus numerous Mallards, a few Black Ducks and not too
many C. Mergansers.  Most of the gulls were out on the ice on Lake
Winnebago, some what beyond the open water.  They would occasionally
fly in, but during those times I could not see any thing different.
Admittedly I was spending more time on the ducks in the river channel
and near the island.

With some occasional warmer weather apparently coming, probably there
will be some waterfowl movement, even up here.  This is certainly
encouraging considering the 13-14 inches of snow we got last week and
the 3 inches on Sat.  Bring on spring!!

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI