[wisb] Madison School Forest (Dane Co.) this a.m.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 15:12:23 -0500

About a dozen birders walked the Madison School Forest south of Verona for a
few hours this morning.  As Ida noted at Bay Beach, mosquitos were not a factor
for a change, which was a pleasant surprise.  We hit a few waves, ending up
with 12 species of warblers.  Most numerous were Am. Redstarts, Magnolias,
Black-throated Greens, Tennessees and Ovenbirds (which nest there.) Also had
Golden-winged, Nashville, Chestnut-sided, Palm, Bay-breasted, Blackpoll, B & W,
and possibly Pine (some disagreement on that one - I never saw it, so can't
weigh in.)

Highlights were great looks at a very cooperative Yellow-billed Cuckoo by the
outdoor classroom, Great-crested FC, a RT Hummingbird apparently feeding a
youngster (I couldn't pick them up,) calling Veery and E. Towhees, and a female
Scarlet Tanager.  John Romano and I had a tanager earlier that I tried to turn
into a Western, but there was a breeding-plumaged Bay-breasted Warbler on the
same leafy branch and I think I was catching glimpses of both birds and trying
to combine them into one (at various points I saw a multi-colored head, dark
wings, yellow rump and wingbars, but never all at once.  The female Scarlet
that John and Peter Gorman saw later had a very yellow rump, they said, so it
may well have been the same bird.)  There was also a flyover Broad-winged Hawk
(which I also missed - I was having a tough morning, I guess!)

Thanks to Peter Gorman and Nolan Pope for coleading, and to Chuck Henrickson
for scouting.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.
(where I just had a new "yard bird" - Wilson's Warbler!)