[wisb] Madison Birders head north

  • From: "pready tds.net" <pready@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:04:35 -0600

Several Madison birders (7) headed north today for winter birds in the
Vilas Co area. Made a run thru Buena Vista Grasslands where we scared
up 12 Short-eared Owls on Lake Rd. right along the shoulder. All of us
had great views as they flew around and  landed on nearby post. Lots
of Rough-legged Hawks (18+) there as well. Also 2 N. Shrikes. Next
stop was in Hatley where we saw the Varied Thrush (f) after about a 10
min. wait. Also had some other nice feeder birds there, Purple Finch,
Com. Redpoll, Siskins, & Tree Sparrows. Around Rhinelander so far we
Cedar Waxwings at the Tech College and a Pileated WP eating crab
apples. Seen several  Hodags so far too. ;)
A nice start for this 3 day jaunt.

Patrick Ready
Dane Co. (But in Rhinelander presently)