[wisb] Brown Thrasher Dane County

  • From: James Schwarz <jfschwar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:18:43 -0600

I took a trip around Lake Mendota this afternoon.

Aside from the cold,  there were a couple of stops which made it seem a bit
like Spring.
There was a BROWN THRASHER at Governer's Island. As I turned left toward the
short loop it was seen feeding on bushes on the right.
When it saw me it ducked below a large rotten tree, with small trees growing on
it, near the beginning of the loop road. Wonder how long it will stay.

Later, at University Bay, I saw a couple of SONG SPARROWS  and a Female
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, I believe someone else reported.

Lake Mendota has a few large open areas, mostly on the north side and a bit on
the west side.
No new species to report there.

Jim Schwarz
Madison, Dane Co