[wisb] Re: MKE Gulls, GBB, LBB, Glaucous and Hybrid Glaucous x Herring Nelson's Gull Milwaukee River Lakefront today, some images

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jimedlhuber@xxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 15:19:00 -0600

Jim, your hybrid gull looks more like a Herring x Great Black-backed, if I
am looking at the correct bird.  The mantle color appears to be a dark gray
(darker than the nearby Herrings), which would be more expected from a bird
with Great Black-backed genes.  A "Nelson's Gull" should as light or lighter
in mantle color than a Herring.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.