[wisb] Lower Mud Lake and Yahara River

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:01:55 -0600

This afternoon I drove down and checked out Mud Lake and the Yahara River
(along B).  As already posted it was very rewarding.  Besides what has already
been mentioned there were 8 Gr. White-fronted Geese present for about the first
10+ minutes after I arrived.  Then they and most of the Canadas took flight,
undoubtedly heading out to feed.  I next checked the ducks which yielded 12
species, including my FOY Pintail (1 male) and Green-winged Teal (2 males).
About 210 Tundra Swans were still present plus the 100s of Shovelers, Gadwalls
and Coots, and an assortment of other ducks.
The Snow (Blue) Geese and 5 Trumpeter Swans were still on the Yahara River,
along with a few Canadas and standard ducks.

It was nice to be birding in 45 degree weather this afternoon, until the clouds
and light rain moved in.  And it was nice to enjoy some early spring migrants,
which, along with all of us, get back to real winter starting tomorrow.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI