[wisb] Long Weekend Highlights & Tips for Viewing , Waukesha Co.

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:48:18 -0600

Birded the S. Kettle Moraine in Waukesha Co. this past weekend and recommend
the following locations (in a fairly tight geographic area) to see a decent
array of birds:

Scuppernong Spring Trail (Hwy ZZ just west of Hwy 67)---

B. Kingfishers, Great Blue Heron, Mallards, gobs of A. Robins, Cedar Waxwings,
& occasional Purple Finch.  I also saw a Green-winged Teal over the Christmas
weekend; suspect it is still lurking around, but just has lots of hiding places
along the open river.

Ottawa Lake Cmpgrnd (just across the road from above trail)---

N. Shrike (uncommon), Red-tail, Rough-legged, & even an imm. Bald Eagle (!)

*Best Area* Stute Springs Trail (on Hwy Z, south of Hwy 59 just down the road
from Emma Carlin Trails, but remember your state park sticker for parking
purposes)---

Hermit Thrush, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Purple Finches, Golden-crowned Kinglets,
Brown Creeper, Red-br Nuthatches, Mallards.  This can be a terrific area, as I
saw additional species over the Christmas weekend such as W. Snipe, Bluebirds,
Fox Sparrow, Bald Eagle, & N. Flicker.

Hwy N, Z, & 59---

Red-tailed, Rough-legged, more Bald Eagles (there seem to be several around
this year), Horned Larks.  The road conditions are very good with only small
amounts of occasional road ice.

Oh yeah my 1st bird of 2010 was a Great-horned Owl in the Scuppernong Prairie
area near Wilton Road.

Happy New Year!!!

Andrea Szymczak

Waukesha, WI