[wisb] Lemmings and Snowy Owls (no sightings)

  • From: BFisher928@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:02:49 -0500 (EST)

In gathering material for a column I was writing about winter raptors, I
corresponded with several Arctic researchers about the lemming population
this  season. Their general consensus: It was a very big year for most lemming
populations, with numbers of lemmings at close to historical highs in many
areas. Those who study Arctic fauna commented, because of plentiful
lemmings,  many Arctic nesting raptors, including Snowy Owls, had extremely
successful  nesting and fledging success.
So the Snowy incursion we are experiencing possibly relates to the  owl's
abundance and breeding success, rather than low lemming numbers.  There may
be just not enough wintering territories to go around further  north, causing
a lot of Snowys to head south.

Regards
Bob Fisher
Downers Grove, IL