[wisb] Ledge Co. Park-olive sided flycatcher

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 17:15:05 -0500

At midday I stopped at Ledge Co. Park near Horicon and walked the trails
for about 20 minutes. Was cool and raining lightly but enjoyed it after the
hot, dry weather we've had. Only saw 3 b.c. chickadees and 1 white-breasted
nuthatch, was very quiet. I was in the lower parking lot and just as I was
starting to leave I noticed a bird at the top of a very tall dead tree, it
stood above the surrounding live trees a little. It was pretty far away but
really couldn't get a look at it any closer because of foliage. Didn't have
scope so had to rely on bins. Was stockier looking than a  peewee with a
shorter tail and longer wings in comparison to the tail than a peewee. Also
could see white streak down the center of breast. It flew out once to chase
a bug and landed back in the same spot. Even though it was a ways out, by
where it was perched and it's behavior, and the field marks as noted I feel
safe in calling it  an olive-sided flycatcher. A life bird for me.
Dave Schrab

Hustisford WI

Dodge Co