[wisb] Lake Michigan shore - Ozaukee Co. today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 20:54:52 -0500

Peter Gorman, Jim Otto, Nolan Pope and I had planned a trip to Lake Michigan
for today, and were kind of nervous about the weather, but things worked out
nicely.  The storm front cleared out before we got started from Madison and it
looked like some decent movement right behind it on the radar.

Our first stop was the Lion's Den Gorge preserve south of Port Washington.  I
had more or less promised Peter G. that we'd get a Merlin along the bluff, and
one obligingly cruised over not long after I said "This is the spot where we're
most likely to get a Merlin."  (It or another later cruised by in the other
direction and made a pass at a Monarch.)  There was a big influx of Swainson's
Thrushes - they were all over, eating dogwood berries.  We also picked up at
least one Gray-cheeked (FOY for me) along the entrance road.  We hit several
waves of warblers, totalling 15 or 16 species.  Blackpolls were especially
numerous, and there was a big influx of Yellow-rumps and a few Palms.  Also
lots of Am. Redstarts & Magnolias, a little group of very colorful Cape Mays
(FOY for me,) B & W, Wilson's, Chesnut-sided, and the highlight, a male
Black-throated Blue that Nolan and I got a quick peek at before it vanished
(yet another FOY for me.)  There were also several RC Kinglets and lots of
White-throats all over.  As we headed back to the parking lot, a small bird
flew up from beside the boardwalk and dove into the vegetation.  Peter got a
glimpse of it, and thought it might be a Connecticut, but it flew again and we
couldn't refind it.

After an unproductive check of the Port Washington harbor, we headed for Forest
Beach Migratory Preserve, where we ran into some Riveredgers.  Unfortunately,
the winds had shifted to northeastly, so there weren't many hawks flying by
there.  We did see a couple of YB Sapsuckers near the clubhouse, and found one
of the Lincoln's Sparrows that Tom & Joan had told us about by one of the brush
piles.  We also had another Gray-cheeked Thrush eating high-bush cranberries at
the bend in the road north of the old clubhouse.

Harrington Beach was pretty quiet, except for a large flock of mostly
Ring-billed Gulls that walkers flushed off the beach to the north.  We did have
a flock of 8 or 9 Sanderlings and a Semi-palm Plover just north of the rocky
point, and a couple of Spotted SPs on the point itself (we had also seen a
couple of Solitary SPs on one of the ponds at Forest Beach.)

Pretty good day, despite the lack of a raptor flight.  Looks like good movement
on the radars again tonight...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.